Friday, April 23, 2010

Inches Away



Nowhere, in any book on becoming a parent, is the term "pillow thief" mentioned. So I'm going to reference it once, then move on. Now that Lindsay is carrying around what appears to be a Butterball turkey, she is requiring more and more sleeping props to get a full night of sound sleep. As a result, I've been waking in the morning to find myself laying on a corner of a single pillow, and teetering on the edge of the bed feeling like I've been sleeping on a portaledge 600 feet off the ground. (I love you, dear.)

Moving on.

Lindsay is somewhere between her 31st and 32nd week, and our little man is really growing. In reading one of the many scary baby books we now own, I learned that from rump to crown, he's roughly 12 inches. However, if measured in full (from toes to the top of his head), he's about 19 inches, and he apparently is weighing in at a solid 5 lbs, although Lindsay would contest this, saying he's probably closer to 20 lbs, what with all the discomfort he's creating! We've been noticing a lot of movement recently; movements that sometimes feel like he's playing a wicked game of backyard wiffle ball, some that feel like he's practicing thai chi, and yet other bumps and thumps that make us think he's sleeping restlessly. Feeling (and seeing!!)his little feet, hands, rear, and head is quite easy now, and no less amazing. Just knowing that he is inches away from us, yet completely anonymous to us and foreign to our touch, is such a trivial and anxious feeling for both Lindsay and me.

The nursery is complete, save for a clock and a framed picture, thanks to everyone who attended both baby showers. I'm a bit reticent to hang a clock simply because I don't want to be reminded of what ungodly hour our little love is waking us up at. Rumor is, there's another shower in the works with people at the hospital.

Here's a great little quote I found recently about babies:

"A baby is an angel whose wings decrease as his legs increase."

No comments:

Post a Comment